December 19, 16
The application process for the Summer Program 2017 will be open from January 15, 2017 until April 21, 2017 or until the program is full, whichever comes first.
The mission of the Outreach, Education and Training Program is to attract, train and grow students into researchers interested in solving problems related to HIV and other human disease.
The summer program is a 8-12 week research training program where each student works on a customized HIV-related research project in one of the Ragon research groups. Although most summer research projects are hands-on bench-based projects we also encourage applications from students with bioinformatics or biostats/epidemiology background.
The program concludes with the submission of a written report, a poster session and oral presentations. Students usually start working between end of May and mid-June.
The program is intended for highly motivated college and medical students with interest in immunology, virology, human disease, epi and multiple experimental and computational approaches (molecular biology and virology, biochemistry, cell biology and cellular immunology, bioinformatics, biostatistics).
How to apply
Send your resume and a letter of application with the to sylvie.legall[at]mgh.harvard.edu with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email should be “Summer program application – [your name].” Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- CV, using the following format: Name-CV.doc (or pdf).
- a letter of application, using the following format: Name-ApplicationLetter.doc (or pdf). Your letter should indicate your motivation for applying to the program, describing previous research experience, indicating whether you are eligible for summer stipends(and which one) and your potential training dates. If you have a preferred lab(s) for your training indicate so on the letter. You may also contact the PI of the lab directly along with sending your application to S. Le Gall. Your letter should:
- Indicate your motivation for applying to the program,
- Describe previous research experience
- Due to the high number of applications and limited internal funding opportunities applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and obtain outside funding to support their living expenses during the summer. Many colleges and universities offer summer stipends for students to do research internships outside the school. Please check with your own school and apply. In addition nation-wide prestigious programs such as MGH SRTP, Harvard Summer programs, HHMI EXROP offer stipends that allow you to do your summer internship in our Institute. Please check eligibility and apply for those stipends. Contact S. Le Gall if you are applying to school or national summer stipends and need information about the program to prepare your applications for fellowships.
Include potential start/end dates for your internship
- If you have a preference for specific labs indicate them in your letter of application. You may also contact the PI of the lab directly along with sending your application to S. Le Gall.
Applications are open until April 21, 2017 or until the program is full, whichever comes first.
Please note, due to the high number of applications, some applications will be selected for an interview over the phone. Students selected after interview will be put in contact with potential supervisors for lab assignments. Students accepted to the program will be assigned to labs according to their preference for specific research topics, to preferences expressed by lab supervisors and availability in the Ragon research labs.